Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Chapter One

Disclaimer: I do not own Twilight or any of its characters. They belong to Stephenie Meyer. I do, however, own the plot to this particular story.


A/N: This chapter takes place a little bit before the prologue. Don't worry. We will get back there.

"Elizabeth Renee Cullen, don't you dare get that playdoh on your dress. Your aunt Alice will get you and me both," I said to my daughter. She was sitting at our dining room table playing with the playdoh set her classmates gave her at school yesterday. I walked over to the table and began to clean up some of the bits of clay that had gotten carelessly thrown to the side.

"Why don't you go ahead and start putting this away? Your party guests will be arriving in a bit and you need to go wash your hands." She pouted a bit at first but once she heard the mention of her birthday party, her face lit up and she began putting the playdoh away.

After she went upstairs to clean herself up, I went back into the kitchen to finish frosting the cupcakes. Lizzie had requested lady bug cupcakes since that's what her aunts and uncles always called her.

I had just finished plating the final cupcakes when I heard the front door open and shut. I knew who it was without even turning around. I felt an arm go around my waist and pull me tightly towards them.

"Hello, Love. Mmmm, you smell good," Edward said, placing a kiss on the skin behind my ear. I laughed and turned around in his arms.

"I don't think that's me. I think it's the cupcakes," I smiled, placing a quick kiss on his lips. He leaned around me and swiped his finger in the bowl of icing and brought it to his mouth to lick off.

"Hmmmm," he said, smiling, "you might be right." We both turned toward the door when we heard running and squealing.

"Daddy!!! You're home, finally," Lizzie said, jumping into her fathers arms. He held her tightly to him and she giggled with delight.

"I told you I would be home in time for your party, Baby Girl. I made a promise and what does Daddy say about his promises?" he asked her, standing her back down on the floor.

"Daddy doesn't break promises. It's against the rules," she grinned widely at us both.

"That's right, Munchkin," I said, walking over to the counter. "Lizzie, why don't you go in the living room and put a video in while your dad and I start putting the food out in the dining room?"

Before I could even get the sentence completely out, Lizzie had skipped out of the kitchen, headed towards the living room. Edward and I turned and looked at each other and just laughed.

"Babe, why on Earth did you make so much food? It's only going to be family here tonight, right?" Edward asked me, eyeballing all the food on the counter. I had finger sandwiches, chips, cheese doodles, a cheese ball with crackers, meatballs, a veggie platter and a meat platter. And not to mention the two platters filled with cupcakes.

"Edward, you do remember our family consists of Emmett, right?" I said to him walking towards the door with some of the food. He looked at the counter full of food then back at me before laughing.

"Yeah, maybe you're right. We might not have enough." Edward and I made several trips from the kitchen to the dining room and finally had all the food set out. There were red and black balloons everywhere. Earlier in the day, I had attached streamers from the chandelier to the walls. The dining room was now fit for a princess. Our princess.

After about five minutes of tidying up the living room, there was a knock at the door. Edward and Lizzie walked over together and answered it.

"Lizzie B! How's my favorite birthday girl?"

"Uncle Emmett," she cried, jumping into his arms. Emmett and Edward had been roommates in college and had remained close ever since. He might not be blood related to us, but he was still family in every sense of the word. Rose, Emmett's wife, walked in behind him. She was smiling at the interaction between Emmett and Lizzie. They were expecting their first child, a girl, in a few months.

"How is the mommy to be doing?" I asked Rose, reaching over to hug her. She had the slightest baby bump that had now begun to finally show.

"Pretty good. The morning sickness has finally subsided," she answered as we all walked into the dining room. She placed the gift bag that she was holding on the table I had set up for gifts and walked over to where Lizzie had sat down.

"How's my Ladybug doing today? Did you have a nice day at school?" Lizzie began talking with Rose as I made my way to the door again after someone had knocked.

"Hey Bella," Jasper said, when I opened the door. He had a huge present wrapped in the prettiest pink, sparkly paper I had ever seen. That had to have been Alice's doing.

"Doing just fine, Jasper," I said ushering the final guests inside. Looks like everyone had arrived at just about the same time. Jasper walked in and placed the present with the others. Alice gave me a quick hug and made her way inside. Carlisle and Esme followed behind them. And then there was one.

"Hey Daddy," I said, giving Charlie a big hug. These events were still so hard for him. He wanted desperately to have my mom by his side, as did I.

"Pretty good, Baby Girl," he said, handing me a gift bag, "I had no idea what to get her. I hope she likes it." I smiled at him and ushered him inside.

"I am sure she will. After all, it's from her Grandpa Charlie." He just laughed and nodded his head. We walked into the dining room and everyone was mingling and chatting away.

"Okay everybody," Emmett said, "Let's eat!" We all just shook our heads and laughed.

~*~*~*~

After everyone had their fill of food and cupcakes, we made our way to sit in the living room. Lizzie had declared it was time to open presents. She sat down on the couch, in between Edward and I, while everyone handed her their present.

Of course, Emmett wanted to be first. He handed her the gift from he and Rose, and stepped back with a huge smile on his face. Lizzie pulled the tissue paper out and tossed it behind us. She pulled out a long, black, velvet box. She let the bag drop to the floor and laid the box gently down in her lap. Lifting the lid, I gasped when I saw what was inside. It was a silver charm bracelet. One charm was a ladybug, of course. The other was a silver heart engraved with "Lizzie B". She handed me the box and jumped off the couch quickly.

"Uncle Emmett," she said, jumping into his arms again," Thank you! It's beautiful." He hugged her tightly and then placed her back down on the floor. She walked over to Rose and hugged her just as tightly, but with not as much enthusiasm due to the belly. We had taught her that early on.

"Thank you Aunt Rose," she said, hugging her. Rose had tears in her eyes.

"You are very welcome, Ladybug. I knew how much you liked to look at my charms on my bracelet, so I thought we could get you one of your own." Lizzie came and sat back down in between us, accepting the next gift from Alice and Jasper. The box was so big that it had to sit on the floor in front of the couch. Lizzie acted like she didn't want to rip the pretty paper, but after some nudging from her daddy, she ripped into it. Suddenly, there were squeals of delight. They had gotten her the doll house that she had been eying for a while now.

She, once again launched herself off of the couch and thanked Alice and Jasper for the gift. Edward pushed it to the side while reading some of the wording on the box.

"Hey Jasper," he said, looking away from the box," it says some assembly required. I don't think I want to know how much some is, do I?" We all laughed and said probably not.

The next gift was from Carlisle and Esme. They placed a gift bad into Lizzie's lap and she ripped into this one, equally as excited. She pulled out a creme colored duffel bag with hot pink straps. The front had her name monogrammed on it.

"It's for when you want to stay the night at Papa and Nana's. You have your own bag to bring now," Esme told her, smiling at her granddaughter. Lizzie got up from the couch and thanked them.

"Thank you Nana Esme," she said, hugging her tightly. She then walked over to Carlisle and hugged him saying, "Thank you Papa C." She had called him this since learning to speak. We never tried to alter it and neither had he. She walked back over to the couch and Charlie handed her his bag.

She smiled up at Charlie and reached into the bag. She pulled out a pink fishing pole and tackle box and squealed with delight once again. She stood up, directly on the couch and launched herself into Charlie's arms. He was shocked but hugged her to him tightly.

"Thank you so much, Grandpa Charlie! I love it. Now I can go fishing with you on the boat down at La Push." She was talking animatedly with her hands as Charlie sat her back down. He looked at me and became flustered.

"I don't know Lizzie. I think that would be up to your mom and dad," he said, and she immediately turned to Edward and me.

"Please, please, please daddy. Can I go fishing with Grandpa Charlie? Mommy, you used to go all the time when you were little. I have never been and I really want to go," I looked over to Edward and he just nodded his head. I smiled at him and then turned to look at our daughter.

"Of course you can sweetheart. The next time Grandpa Charlie goes, you can go with him, as long as he doesn't mind," I said, looking at my dad and raising my eyebrows in question.

"I was planning on going next Sunday, if that is alright with you." I just looked at him and nodded my head, as did Edward. Lizzie hugged the three of us in thanks. She sat back down between us and Edward handed her an envelope.

"This is from me and Mommy," he told her. Lizzie looked a little confused. She opened the envelope and pulled out a paper. She looked puzzled and looked to Edward.

"Daddy, can you help me read this?" she said pointing at the paper she had pulled from the envelope.

"Sure thing, Baby Girl," he said, and pulled her into his lap. He read her the paper and once she figured out that it was a certificate signing her up for piano lessons she hugged her daddy tightly.

"Thank you so much! You are the best Daddy ever. I can't wait to play piano like you Daddy. It's gonna be so much fun." Edward just laughed and whispered something in her ear. She got off his lap and walked over to me and motioned with her finger for me to lean up to her.

I leaned up and she hugged me tightly and whispered to me. "Thank you so much Mommy. You are the best Mommy in the world too." I told her thank you and looked over to Edward and smiled.

~*~*~*~

While I cleaned up after the party, Edward took Lizzie upstairs to get her bathed and ready for bed. I sent home a lot of the leftovers with Rose and Emmett so that she wouldn't have to worry about cooking the next day, but there was still plenty left. I placed all the food inside storage containers and put them inside the refrigerator. I wrapped up the platter of cupcakes and put them in the refrigerator as well.

I walked into the living room and picked up all the tissue paper and wrapping paper and placed it into the garbage. I pushed her presents to one side of the room. I would put them away tomorrow. I cut off all the lights downstairs and made my way up to tuck my little girl in.

I walked into her bedroom and Edward was laying her down in her bed. She had her favorite Tinker Bell pajamas on and her hair was still a little damp from her bath. I walked over and sat on the bed beside Edward.

"I already told her that you were planning to take her over to Ms. Cope's sometime next week to see about her lessons. She is very excited," Edward said, after kissing me on the cheek.

"Yes, Mommy," Lizzie said, "I am very excited." She let out a big yawn and Edward and I laughed quietly.

"Well, since we have a big day planned for tomorrow, you, my big girl, should get some rest," Edward said, and leaned over and gave her a kiss on the forehead. Edward and I decided that since he wasn't able to get off for her actual birthday, we would spend the day tomorrow together.

"Okay Daddy. But Mommy, can stay for a little bit and read me a story?"

"Of course I can baby. But just one, and then you have to go to sleep." She nodded her head at me and reached over to her bedside table. Of course, I already knew which book she was reaching for. Ever since I told her that my mom used to read The Princess and The Pea to me when I was little, it had become a favorite of hers.

She laid down on her pillow and I leaned back against her head board and made myself comfortable. While reading, I looked over at the little girl beside me. She looked so peaceful laying there with not a care in the world. I envied her at times. She didn't have to deal with all the stress of work, money problems or health issues.

After finishing the story, I placed the book back on her bedside table. I thought she was asleep and was startled when she quietly spoke to me.

"Mommy?" she said.

"Yeah baby?" I said, standing beside her bed.

"Do you think Grandma Renee can see us? Do you think that she was watching us at my party tonight?" I smiled at the thought. We had always made sure that we told her about my mother. Whether through pictures or stories that Charlie, Edward and I would tell her, we made sure that she knew as much about one of her namesakes as possible.

"I am sure she was Sweet Girl. I am sure she's always with you," I told her placing a kiss on her forehead and tucking her back in. Before I even made it to her bedroom door, I heard her light snores signaling she was already asleep.

I switched on her nightlight and whispered into the darkness. "Watch after my Baby Girl, Mom."

EPOV

I walked out of our daughter's room and leaned against the door jam and just watched my girls. Lizzie was curled into Bella's side while she read her favorite bedtime story to her. She loved to hear this story even more since finding out that Renee had read it to Bella. I really wished that she could have met her granddaughter. I remember when we found out little Lizzie was on her way.

"Baby," I said through the door, "are you sure there is nothing I can do for you? I just feel so helpless out here." Bella had been throwing up all week. She thought she had some type of stomach bug. I thought differently. That's why I stood on the other side of the door with a small paper bag in my hand, waiting for her to open up.

The toilet flushed and I heard the water running as Bella brushed her teeth. A few seconds later, she opened the door and was pale looking. I pulled her to me and rubbed her back gently.

"I'm sorry, baby. I wish there was something I could do to help," I told her. Being a doctor but still not being able to help your wife really sucks. She pulled away from me and looked down at the bag in my hand. I might as well share with her my theories now.

"What have you got there?" she asked, as I handed her the bag and motioned for us to sit on the bed. She placed the bag in her lap and opened it up. She pulled the rectangular box out and looked at it and back at me. Her eyes got huge as she continued to look from the box to me.

"I was thinking that maybe this wasn't so much a stomach bug. Have you thought about that?," I asked her as she continued to stare at the box holding the pregnancy test. She just shook her head.

"I hadn't even thought of that. Come to think of it, I couldn't tell you the last time I had a regular period. Oh my gosh, Edward! Do you really think that I could be pregnant? Really?" She was so excited now so I prayed to God I was correct in my assumptions. I mean, she's showing all the classic signs....sore breasts, mood swings from hell, morning sickness and now she confirmed the missed period.

She opened the box and made her way towards the bathroom again. I didn't know if she wanted me in there or not so I stayed on the bed. She stopped in the door way and turned back around to look at me.

"Are you coming baby?" she asked me. All I could do was nod and smile. Several minutes later we were both sitting on the edge of the bathtub and holding on to each others hands. When the timer went off Bella and I both stood up and moved to the vanity where we had placed the little stick that would now tell us our future.

"Edward, I can't do it," she said to me, "will you look for me?" I nodded and placed a kiss on her lips. I closed my eyes as my hands gripped the stick. I picked it up and slowly opened my eyes looking down at the small plastic object.

I looked back up at Bella with a huge smile plastered on my face. She just grinned back at me and I nodded. She jumped up into my arms and wrapped her legs around my waist and held onto me tightly. I hugged her back just as tightly and placed kisses along the column of her neck. I suddenly felt Bella's body begin to tremble and I put her back down on the floor and pulled her away from me to look at her face. Her face was soaked from the tears that had already fallen. But I could tell that these were not happy tears.

"Baby, what's the matter," I ask her as she sat back down on the edge of the tub. "I thought that this was something you wanted. I know we weren't planning this right away but it happened and I think it could be a good thing."

She shook her head at me and continued to sob. Pulling her to me, I gently rubbed her back while she tried to get her breathing under control. After a few minutes she pulled away from me to look in my eyes.

"I know this is a good thing. I am thrilled to be having your baby Edward. It's just.....I wish my mom was here. It is times like these that I miss her so much." She started back sobbing again and a pulled her down to the floor where I had sat and placed her in my lap.

"I know baby. I am so sorry that she can't be here right now. But I know that she's watching you. I am sure that she's so happy for us, sweetheart."

Later that afternoon we went down to the cemetery and made sure that Renee was the first person we told about our impending arrival.


By the time I had finished my little trip down memory lane, Bella had finished her story to Lizzie and was making her way out of the room. She gently shut the door behind her and grabbed my hand as we walked back to our bedroom.

"I can't believe she's six years old already. It seems like only yesterday that I had her." We walked into our room, pulled back the covers on the bed and climbed inside. Bella laid down beside me and placed her head on my chest. I ran my fingers through her hair slowly.

"I know babe. I remember the night you went into labor. I was thrilled, but scared to death." We both laughed at the memory.

I was lying in bed sleeping, quite peacefully I might add, when all of the sudden I was practically pushed off the bed. I sat up groggily in bed and looked over at Bella.

"I think my water just broke. I got up to go pee but never made it and I really don't think I peed on myself." She was talking a mile a minute and it took a few seconds for my brain to actually compute what she was saying. Once it did, I immediately jumped out of bed and was at her side.

"Okay, lets get you downstairs and in the car. Your bag is already in the trunk so we don't need to worry about that. I will call Charlie and Esme and Alice once we get there and get word from the doctor." I'm sure I was running around like a chicken with my head chopped off, but give me a break, this was my first time.

About an hour and a half later, we were all prepped in the labor suite and awaiting Alice and Esme's arrival. The doctor had checked Bella, she was four centimeters dilated so she was able to go ahead and get her epidural. She was now resting comfortably in the nice hospital bed while I was scrunched up on this incredibly uncomfortable couch. I was tempted to go downstairs and find the doctors on-call room that I usually rested in while at work but I didn't want to leave Bella. The doctor assured me that she still had quite a ways to go, and I knew that, but I wanted to stay by her side the entire time.

Hours later, Esme and Alice had both arrived and we all sat in Bella's suite talking and watching television. Around eight o'clock, Bella asked me to call the doctor in. She said that she suddenly felt the need to push . I rushed out after making sure that Alice and Esme stayed with her, and practically dragged the doctor inside the room. He checked her again and told us that it was time to push.

After two hours of pushing, Bella was getting so tired. She was doing such a great job, but she was exhausted. I stood beside her, rubbing her head with a cool cloth.

"Baby, the doctor says just a couple more pushes. You can do this sweetheart. I know you can," I told her. She looked at me with tears in her eyes.

"I'm so tired Edward. I can't do this anymore. I just want to rest," she collapsed back down to the bed. When she felt another contraction, she sat back up and pushed with all her might again. The doctor looked up at us and smiled widely.

"Okay Bella. This next push should do it. I want you to put that chin down to your chest and push with all you have," the doctor told us. Bella was laying back down on the bed now and was crying.

"What's the matter baby? You're almost done. Not much longer and we can meet our daughter," I told her, smoothing her damp hair away from her face. She continued crying.

"I know, I know. It's just so hard. I look at your mom here for us and I can't help but wish that Renee was standing beside her. I miss her so much right now," she said as she sat up. I looked over at my mom, her eyes were filled with tears. She bent down and whispered something in Bella's ear, Bella smiled weakly at her and nodded.

With one final push, our daughter came into this world. After I cut the cord, she was placed gently on Bella's chest. I rubbed her little hand, she grabbed hold of my finger as tight as her little hand could. Bella rubbed her cheek with the back of her fingers and said, "Welcome to the world Elizabeth Renee Cullen." She whispered then reached up to kiss me.

I smiled at the memory and looked down at my wife, who was sleeping peacefully in my arms. I gave her a kiss on her head and got myself comfortable. I was such a lucky man to have such a beautiful family.

No comments:

Post a Comment