Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Chapter Three

Disclaimer: I don't own Twilight or any of its characters. They all belong to Stephenie Meyer.


**Tissue Warning!!! My beta, my prereader and myself have all cried while reading this, so..........tissue warning. We are back at the prologue now peeps.



I woke up to feather light kisses being placed along my back and shoulders. I moaned at the sensation and looked over at the alarm clock. We had about thirty minutes before Lizzie would be up and pounding on the door.

I rolled over and Edward was grinning mischievously at me. His hands roamed all over my back while his mouth nipped at my neck. My hands went immediately to his hair and tugged at it a bit.

"Baby," I said to him, trying to catch my breath, "do you think we have enough time?" We had been doing a lot of quickies lately. Yesterday was the first time in a while that we were able to take our time and really enjoy each other.

"I'm sure that we do. Hmmmm....I think we have plenty of time," he said, as his hand slid down the front of my pajama pants. His fingers made small, tight circles around my clit as his mouth continued its assault on my neck.

"Mmmmmm," I moaned as he moved to hover above me. He nudged my legs with his and I spread them as he settled himself down in between them. He lifted my tank top and placed wet, open mouth kisses on my breasts as his hand continued rubbing me below.

"Mommy! Daddy," a small voice floated through our room through the closed and thankfully locked door," are you up yet? Is it time to go see about my piano lessons now?"

Edward's head dropped to my shoulder while he pulled his hand from my pajama pants. I pulled my top back down to cover my chest while I answered our daughter.

"Yeah, baby. It's almost time. Mommy and Daddy will be down in just a little bit." Lizzie didn't answer but I heard her footsteps retreat down the hallway. Edward lifted his head and placed a gentle kiss on my lips.

"I'm sorry. I figured we had time."

"It's okay. You know she is excited about today," I answered him.

"Yeah, but now I have to take care of this problem in the shower." I giggled at him as he stood and adjusted himself in his sleep pants. I got up on my knees and moved myself to the edge of the bed where he was standing. I wrapped my arms around his neck and moved my lips around to whisper in his ear.

"I promise to make it up to you tonight baby. Multiple times." I took his earlobe in my mouth and bit down gently. He moaned at the sensation and pulled away to look into my eyes.

"I'm holding you to that," he said, gathering his clothing and making his way into the bathroom to shower and get ready for work.

~*&*~

While Edward showered, I went downstairs and fixed Lizzie a bowl of cereal. I knew we didn't have time today for another big, extravagant breakfast. She sat at the counter in the kitchen munching on her Cinnamon Toast Crunch and watching Sponge Bob, while I ate my bagel. I poured myself a cup of coffee and filled a glass of orange juice for Edward.

Just as the first episode of Sponge Bob was ending, I heard Edward coming down the stairs. He was finishing knotting his tie when he walked into the kitchen.

"Morning, Baby Girl," he told Lizzie, placing a kiss on top of her head. He walked over to the counter and drank down most of his orange juice in one swift gulp. Placing the glass back down on the counter he licked his lips. "Morning, Love," he whispered, leaning in close, gently kissing me on the lips and then winked at me. God, he knew what he was doing to me after that quick encounter this morning. I smiled back at him and took a sip of my coffee.

He walked over to the dining room table, gathered his briefcase and put his suit jacket on. He walked back into the kitchen and picked Lizzie up and hugged her tightly.

"You be good for mommy today, sweetie. I want my girls to have a great day," he told her, sitting her back down on her stool. He walked over to where I was standing on the other side of the counter. Pulling me to him, he kissed me passionately, his hands roaming down to my ass. He moved his lips to where he could whisper in my ear without a certain little girl hearing.

"I look forward to tonight and your promises of multiple times," he said, still holding me tightly to him. He pulled away and winked at me again. I just shook my head and playfully slapped at his chest.

"Have a good day at work, baby," I told him and placed a gentle kiss on his lips.

"Bye Girls," Edward waved as he walked out the front door. I moved around the kitchen placing Edward's glass and my coffee mug in the sink. After asking Lizzie if she was done with her bowl of cereal, I placed it in the sink as well.

"Okay Lizzie," I told her, while walking behind her into the living room, "I need you to sit down here and watch television for a bit so mommy can take a quick shower. I'll be right back down and then we can head out to see Ms. Cope, okay?" She nodded her head at me quickly before turning her attention back to Sponge Bob. I just shook my head, laughing quietly and made my way upstairs to shower and get ready for the day.

~*&*~

Thirty minutes later, I walked downstairs and pulled my coat on. Lizzie already had her coat on was practically bouncing off the walls ready to leave. I grabbed my purse off the dining room table and Lizzie grabbed her little purse that Alice had gotten her and we walked out the door together.

Lizzie buckled herself in the backseat while I plugged my iPod into the dock and set it to her personal play list. Our little girl loved her Miley, Hannah and Jonas Brothers, much to her father's dismay. I began to back down the driveway when the first song began to play. I looked at Lizzie in the rear view mirror and she was bopping her head to the beat of Miley and all was well in my world.

Minutes later, I parked my SUV in the small parking lot by Ms. Cope's office and helped Lizzie out of the back. She held my hand while we walked toward the old brick building on Main Street. A small bell rang out our arrival as we pushed the door open. Ms. Cope came out of a back room, largest smile on her face.

"My, my, my," she said, as she ran her hand along Lizzie's copper locks, "she looks just like her father. That lovely shade of hair and those beautiful green eyes." Lizzie looked up at Ms. Cope and smiled.

"You knew my daddy when he was a little kid?" Lizzie asked her curiously. Ms. Cope had led us to a small desk and motioned for us to sit down.

"Yes, I sure did. As a matter of fact, I started giving him piano lessons when he was about your age. He had a brilliant thirst for musical knowledge and I am sure that you will have the same." Lizzie nodded excitedly and we both laughed.

"Okay, Mrs. Cullen," Ms. Cope began, "do you have any preference as to what days to hold the lessons on?" We both sat and looked at the calendar while Lizzie toyed with the charm bracelet she had gotten for her birthday. After a few minutes, we decided on Tuesday's and Thursday's at five o'clock. Lizzie and I both hugged Ms. Cope goodbye and told her that we would see her soon.

We walked, hand in hand, down the sidewalk, and browsed the window dressings of the local shops. I looked down at my watch and realized that it was too early for lunch but I had an idea to surprise Lizzie.

"Hey munchkin," I said, stopping in front of one of Lizzie's favorites places in Forks," what do you think about having an ice cream cone?" She looked up at me with a huge smile on her face and nodded her head quickly.

"Yes, mommy, Yes please!" she said as we made our way into the ice cream parlor. I walked to the counter and ordered Lizzie's favorite, a strawberry cone, and we made our way back out of the shop.

I walked down the street, browsing through windows, while Lizzie licked her ice cream cone and skipped along beside me. I looked over at her and smiled. She's so full of energy and love. She's the light of our lives. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket.

Letting go of Lizzie's hand, I looked at her and told her to stay right beside me. She gave me her beautiful half smile that reminds me so much of Edward, and nodded her head, continuing to eat her ice cream.

"Hello," I said, flipping open my phone, not even looking at the caller i.d.

"Hey sweetheart," Edward said from the other line, "how are my girls today?" I smiled and felt the familiar tightening in my chest when he called us 'his girls'. That is something Edward has always called us. Most men would have wanted to have a son. But not Edward Cullen. Nope, he was proud to have a Daddy's Little Girl. He loved her with his whole heart, as she did him. She was named after his biological mother that died when he was three. Both of his parents were killed in a car accident. He was adopted right after that by Carlisle and Esme.

"Well, we went by Ms. Cope's office and set up Lizzie's piano lessons. They will be on Tuesday's and Thursday's at five o'clock. She's so excited. She can't wait to play piano like Daddy." And that was true. Lizzie wants to play piano like daddy. She wants to be a doctor like Daddy and her Papa Carlisle, anything Daddy does, Lizzie wants to do too.

"That's great, Love. I am so glad she has my love for music. But why I was calling, I have a surgery coming up in a bit and I am going to have to stay a little later today than expected. So, why don't you girls go ahead and have dinner without me and I will be home as soon as I can." I completely understood. Edward sometimes has to stay at work late. That's the life of a surgeon. He loves his job and I knew exactly what I was getting into when I married him. He always makes time for us though, so I don't mind.

"Okay, I'll pick something up at the market and will have it warming for you when you get in," I told him.

"Thank you, Baby. I will let you go now. Give Lizzie kisses for me. I love you," he said.

"Love you too," I said, before disconnecting the line. I glanced to my side, Lizzie wasn't there. My heart began to beat rapidly in my chest as I realized my daughter was missing.

I started looking around the streets frantically, my heart hammering in my chest. My mind was a hazy mess and I started screaming her name. Several people walked up to but I pushed them away, still calling out for her, then I heard a blood curdling scream. I’m not sure how I knew, but I turned around and ran towards the sound. My world stopped as fell to my knee’s reaching for my daughter’s hand that was covered in blood. I could hear some screams to call 911 but everything else, except for the sound of my heart beat, was echoing in my ears.

~*&*~

"Blood Pressure is 70 palp. Get the immobilizer around her neck, now we need to get her into the ambulance. Starting the intraosseous IV, get the oxygen on her. Heart rate dropping….”

Everything I heard was foreign. I had no clue what was happening or what they were doing to my baby girl. It was all happening so fast.

They hovered over her to where I couldn't see. The back doors of the ambulance burst open and and three medical staff were lady asked what do we have and I heard again, heart rate dropping, BP 70 palp. One of the medical staff pried open her eyes and flashed a light and then yelled "pupils are blown, she needs a head CT, stat."

They started running with the stretcher and I felt myself do the same. A nurse caught up to me and asked me her name and age and I couldn't answer, all I could do was sob. I was in a complete daze.

"Oh dear God," I heard someone say in a strangled voice. I blinked away some of the tears from my eyes and saw that it was Carlisle. He rushed to Lizzie's side and immediately goes into doctor mode. He started asking the EMT's for heart rate and blood pressure. Another man, who I presumed to be a colleague of Carlisle's, that was already working on Lizzie looked at Carlisle.

"Dr. Cullen," the man said, but Carlisle paid no attention to him. He continues to follow beside the stretcher carrying his granddaughter. The man grabbed Carlisle's wrist before he could enter the room behind them.

"Carlisle," he said rather loudly, "let me take this. I will take care of her. You know I will." Carlisle just looked at the man and nodded grimly. Once the door was shut, he turned to me and hugged me tightly. He led us over to the chairs that were lined up along the wall. He spoke to me but it all sounded mumbled and I couldn't focus. I felt like I was drowning and couldn't kick my way to the surface.

Suddenly, the large metal doors at the end of the hall burst open violently and hit the walls with a loud crash. I looked up and saw the face of a man in pain. Edward rushed over to Carlisle and me. He pulled me into his arms and I could feel him trembling just as bad as I was. I still couldn't speak. I was numb. Edward never let go of me and I could hear him and Carlisle speaking but I couldn't comprehend any of what they were saying. My eyes were trained on the door to the room that held my heart and soul.

After what seemed like and eternity but was probably only minutes, the door finally opened. The doctor stepped out, his clothes soiled with bright, red blood. The look on his face told me all I needed to know.

"I am so sorry," he said grimly.

"No, no, no, no," I began to chant. He walked over to Edward and I. I just continued to chant and shake my head.

"You said you would take care of her! You said you would save her! You told us to trust you!" I yelled at him, not giving a damn that I was in the middle of the emergency department. I continued to berate the man as my heart broke into a million pieces over and over again.

I pushed Edward away from me and turned to look at Carlisle. He had tears streaming down his face as he shook his head at me.

"Please Carlisle. Go in there. You can save my baby girl. You can save her. I know you can. You are the best at what you do. Please save her! Please!" I sobbed into his chest and begged him to do something for her. I felt like my chest was being crushed. I could barely catch my breath.

Someone suddenly grabbed my arms and turned me around. I looked up and it was Edward. I started to beat my fists into his chest and sobbed loudly.

"Edward, you have to save her! No one will save her! Someone has to help Lizzie. Please, please save my baby girl!" I cried as we sank down to the floor below. Edward continued to hold me and tried to provide what comfort he could while I sobbed loudly into his chest.

EPOV

I had just gotten out of surgery when I got a page telling me I was needed downstairs immediately for a family emergency. I hit the double doors of the ER running and stopped dead in my tracks when I spotted my wife.

Bella was covered in blood and her face was completely void of any kind of emotion. I rushed over to her and my father, pulling Bella into my arms and begged my father to tell me what was going on. Neither of them would speak.

"Dad, please," I begged him, "What is wrong? Why is Bella covered in blood? What happened? Where is Lizzie?" Before he had a chance to answer me, Dr. Matthews stepped through the door that had opened beside us. He looked at me, then Carlisle and lastly Bella. She immediately began screaming at the doctor. Then she turned to Carlisle who's face was covered in the tears that had begun to fall from his eyes. What the hell is going on? Where is Elizabeth?

Bella clung to Carlisle and begged him to save her. Save who?

She begged him to save her little girl.

Lizzie.

Elizabeth.

Our daughter.

My life.

I grabbed Bella and spun he around so that she could tell me that I was wrong and that this was some horrible mistake. That I had just misheard this whole conversation. That I would wake up at home, in bed, this whole day having been a nightmare.

She began to beat my chest with her fists and begged me to save Lizzie.

Oh God no. Not Lizzie. Not my Baby Girl.

Bella sank down to the floor and I followed her. I held on to her as tight as I could and tried to offer her some kind of comfort. But I knew that I was doing nothing to help. Because if she was feeling even half of what I was, she was empty. Broken.

I sat on the floor of the Emergency Department in Forks, Washington and held my wife and stared at the door to the room that held the body of my angel. But yet I couldn't cry. My wife sobbed uncontrollably in my arms and my father sat by us and quietly cried. But I had yet to shed a tear. I was truly broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment