Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Prologue

Disclaimer: I do not own Twilight or any of its characters. They belong to Stephenie Meyer. I do, however, own the plot to this story.


~*~*~*~

I've always had a pretty wonderful life. I grew up in the small town of Forks, Washington. I was born to Charlie and Renee Swan. They loved each other with a passion that I could only hope for.

Forks was one of those small towns where everyone knew each other. We lived on a street full of two story houses with white picket fences. All of the neighborhood kids would play at each others houses and have sleepovers. My best friends were the Cullen's. They lived across the street from me basically my whole life. I can remember the day they moved in like it was yesterday.

I sat on my front porch playing with my latest obsession, My Little Ponies. I was brushing the hair of one of the horses when I heard a loud rumble. I looked up and saw a large moving truck backing up to the house across the street. A station wagon pulled up in the driveway and parked beside the truck.

I watched as the family got out of their car. An auburn haired woman and blonde haired man opened the back doors and two kids, that appeared to be my age, got out. The two of them, more so the girl than the boy, talked very excitedly to what I assumed to be their parents.

I was a bit taken aback by the color of the boys hair. I compared it to that of a shiny, new penny. Looking my way and smiling, their mother bent down to say something to them. The both nodded their heads and made their way over to where I was.

I stood up and brushed the dirt from my pants. I had a huge smile on my face, I am sure. There weren't many girls around here to play with and I was excited to finally have one to play with.

"Hi. My name is Alice. And this is my brother Edward," she said, smiling the whole time.

"My name is Bella," I said, returning the smile.

From that day forward we remained inseparable. Alice and I were the best of friends. Edward and I were also friends, but there was something else there, something that neither of us understood until we were teenagers.

We started dating while in high school and fell in love. We went to college together and returned to Forks after graduation.

My mother lived long enough to see Edward and me get married. She passed away not long after, of breast cancer. My father has yet to move on. He believes my mother was his one and only true love. I agree.

I looked down at the little hand holding mine. Elizabeth Renee Cullen. She's six years old and is the light of my life. She was born almost one year exactly to the date of my mothers death. I just wish she was able to meet her. But I know my mother is the one that sent her to me, she sent Elizabeth to help heal my heart with her beautiful spirit.

Lizzie is the spitting image of her father. She has his copper colored hair and piercing green eyes. Not only does she look like her father, she wants to be like him as well. And that's why we are out today; she wants to take piano lesson and play piano like her daddy. We went by Ms. Cope's office to see about setting her up for lessons. After that, we both decided to treat ourselves to some ice cream.

I walked down the street, browsing through windows, while Lizzie licked her ice cream cone and skipped along beside me. I looked over at her and smiled. She's so full of energy and love. She's the light of our lives. I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket.

Letting go of Lizzie's hand, I looked at her and told her to stay right beside me. She gave me her beautiful half smile that reminds me so much of Edward, and nodded her head, continuing to eat her ice cream.

"Hello," I said, flipping open my phone, not even looking at the caller i.d.

"Hey sweetheart," Edward said from the other line, "how are my girls today?" I smiled and felt the familiar tightening in my chest when he called us 'his girls'. That is something Edward has always called us. Most men would have wanted to have a son. But not Edward Cullen. Nope, he was proud to have a Daddy's Little Girl. He loved her with his whole heart, as she did him. She was named after his biological mother that died when he was three. Both of his parents were killed in a car accident. He was adopted right after that by Carlisle and Esme.

"Well, we went by Ms. Cope's office and set up Lizzie's piano lessons. They will be on Tuesday's and Thursday's at five o'clock. She's so excited. She can't wait to play piano like Daddy." And that was true. Lizzie wants to play piano like daddy. She wants to be a doctor like Daddy and her Papa Carlisle, anything Daddy does, Lizzie wants to do too.

"That's great, Love. I am so glad she has my love for music. But why I was calling, I have a surgery coming up in a bit and I am going to have to stay a little later today than expected. So, why don't you girls go ahead and have dinner without me and I will be home as soon as I can." I completely understood. Edward sometimes has to stay at work late. That's the life of a surgeon. He loves his job and I knew exactly what I was getting into when I married him. He always makes time for us though, so I don't mind.

"Okay, I'll pick something up at the market and will have it warming for you when you get in," I told him.

"Thank you, Baby. I will let you go now. Give Lizzie kisses for me. I love you," he said.

"Love you too," I said, before disconnecting the line. I glanced to my side, Lizzie wasn't there. My heart began to beat rapidly in my chest as I realized my daughter was missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment